At a time when the home was becoming the workplace, the restaurant, and the school, millions began exercising at home to stay fit and fabulous | Image credit: Pexels
- The gym deadlift requires barbells, bumper plates, and bar collars
- Gym or no gym, wall seating doesn’t require any equipment, just a wall
- The stable exercise benches are ideal for triceps exercises
New Delhi: For a long time, fitness enthusiasts believed that going to the gym was essential to staying in shape. However, the coronavirus lockdown has changed the way we view many things – even fitness at home. At a time when the home was becoming the workplace, the restaurant, and the school, millions began exercising at home to stay fit and fit. A more holistic form of fitness was adapted without equipment and food supplements. Celebrities also posted their training program for at home with the fans and drew attention to the topic of “fitness at home”.
And now as we near the possibility of a third wave of coronavirus, it’s time to prepare for a more intense routine – one based on basic household items like dumbbells – for an all-round program.
- Bucket deadlifts: The gym deadlift requires barbells, bumper plates, and bar collars. However, you can do the same thing at home with a bucket full of water. All you have to do is fill a bucket according to your weight lifting capacity and do the deadlifts.
- Book pushups: In the gym, bumper plates are placed on your back to intensify push-ups. However, if you do the same thing at home, stack some of your heavy books on the back and do the same for similar, sometimes better, results.
- Wall sits: Gym or no gym, wall seats don’t need any equipment, just a wall. Not just at home, this exercise can be done anywhere – including at school or at work – wherever there is space. First, try to hold the sitting position against the wall for 30 seconds. Then increase the overtime and see your muscles get stronger in seconds.
- Squats with a backpack: Squats are often performed with barbells and bumpers for maximum benefit. However, when practicing at home, one can opt for a loaded backpack for a similar effect. All you need to do is keep a few books or a laptop and do the traditional squats for an all-round fitness.
- Chair dips: The stable exercise benches are ideal for performing triceps exercises. However, the chairs at home or low tables can be used for the same effect. All you have to do is find a table or chair strong enough to support your body weight.
- Water bottle curls: Dumbbells are available at a gym for arm and shoulder training. At home, you can do the same with water bottles. Fill two water bottles of the same capacity with the same amount of water and perform the curl exercises as usual.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in this article are for general information only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or nutritionist before starting any fitness program or changing your diet.