Get ahead with this easy weekly meal prep chicken recipe! Cook the chicken breast is my simple tutorial that will give you juicy, flavorful chicken that you can use for almost anything.
For the most perfect and incredibly tender baked chicken, grab my very popular recipe for Chicken breasts baked in the oven.
Juicy chicken breasts for meal prep
Now that everyone is nearing the end of their summer, it seems like a good time to start thinking about meal preparation again. Whether for school, homeschooling, work, or just to save time across the board, meal prep is a great habit to start off with.
This simple recipe will give you tons of delicious chicken that is perfectly juicy and ready to portion meals for several days of meals. It’s flavorful yet neutral so it goes well with anything.
Trust me, this is a game changer! You will love this easy and healthy recipe and save all the time.
What you will need
This simple method uses simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Don’t hesitate to double or even triple the recipe because you’ll need it … and it’s great to freeze too.
- Chicken: A batch of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 to 1.5 pounds of chicken).
- Broth: You can use vegetable broth or chicken broth, enough to cover the chicken. That’s about 4 cups.
- Garlic powder: Use ½ tablespoon of garlic powder for seasoning.
- Dried herbs: Here you can design it yourself. Any type of dried or fresh herbs will work just fine. Italian seasoning, dried rosemary, a mixture of dried rosemary and thyme, whatever you like!
- Salt and pepper: I find a teaspoon of everyone is just right. Peppercorns work just as well.
Cook the chicken breast
This method is practically foolproof! To make sure the chicken doesn’t dry out or overcook (or worse, undercooked!) Instant read thermometer to check the degree of cooking.
- Put the ingredients in a large saucepan. Place the chicken in a large saucepan, followed by the chicken stock, garlic powder, herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Cook. Cover the pot and bring everything to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to a low level and let the chicken simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 ° F. Use your handy, instantly readable meat thermometer to check the degree of doneness. The thicker the breasts, the longer it will take to cook.
- Mince the cooked chicken. Remove the chicken breasts from the broth, collect 1 cup of broth and discard the rest. Transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board and use two forks to mince the meat. When the chicken appears dry, add some of the reserved broth and stir to allow the chicken to soak up the liquid.
- Enjoy! Serve immediately or one airtight container and cool.
Tips for Success
You probably feel ready to prepare a meal, but before you start, wait a second! First, take a minute to read through these handy tips.
- Up to you: While I usually shred my chicken, you can definitely leave it whole, chop it, slice it, or dice it. Whatever works for you or for the recipe you are about to make.
- Use thighs: Thighs also make wonderful pulled or shredded chicken. They also take longer to cook, so be sure to use a thermometer to check the doneness.
How to Cook Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot
- This recipe can also be made in the Instant Pot! Cook the chicken breast under high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release for about five minutes, then quickly release the rest of the pressure.
- See my recipe for Instant Pot Chicken Breast for more informations.
How to use shredded chicken
You can use this recipe in all ways! Here are some of my favorites.
- Salad: Top a salad with shredded chicken for a light and healthy lunch or dinner. This very berry avocado salad goes perfectly with chicken!
- Sandwiches and wraps: Put shredded chicken in a sandwich, pita or wrap with a delicious dressing like this honey mustard. Mmm.
- Saucepan: Throw shredded chicken into a favorite casserole, like this cheesy chicken cauliflower rice casserole. Dinner? Complete!
- And more: Tacos, quesadillas, soups, burrito bowls, dips, barbecue … the possibilities are endless!
How to store and reheat shredded chicken breasts
- To store leftovers in the refrigerator, place them in airtight containers or grocery bags and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Place in freezer bags to freeze and squeeze out as much air as possible before sealing. Freeze for up to two months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before use.
- Use cold or warm over low heat in a covered saucepan or pan.
How to cook chicken breast
Preparation time5 Minutes
cooking time20th Minutes
total time30th Minutes
Juicy, tender cooked chicken is easy and quick with this simple stove-top method. Use cooked chicken in sandwiches, salads, soups, casseroles, tacos, and more!
- ▢ 4th Boneless chicken breast, skinless, about 1 to 1.5 pounds of chicken
- ▢ 3 to 4 cups Chicken soup, or enough to cover the chicken
- ▢ ½ tablespoon Garlic powder
- ▢ 1 tablespoon Dried herbs, You can use Italian seasoning, dried rosemary, dried oregano, or a mixture of dried rosemary, oregano and thyme, etc.
- ▢ 1 teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- ▢ 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
Put the chicken in a large saucepan.
Add chicken broth to the saucepan; Add enough stock to cover the chicken breast.
Stir in garlic powder, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
Cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and continue to simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 ° F. Please use an immediately readable meat thermometer to check the degree of cooking. The thicker the breasts, the longer it will take to cook.
Remove the chicken breast from the liquid; Collect 1 cup of liquid and discard the rest.
Place the chicken breast on a cutting board and chop the meat with two forks.
You can also put the chicken breast in the bowl of a food processor with a mixer attachment; Beat on low heat for about a minute, or until chicken is shredded.
- If shredded chicken looks dry, add a little of the retained liquid and stir. Taste of salt, pepper and spices; Adjust accordingly.
Serve the chicken immediately or place in an airtight container and refrigerate.
- Use shredded chicken for casseroles, sandwiches, salads, tacos, etc. all week long.
- Net carbohydrates: 3 g
How to cook chicken breast
Amount per serving
Calories from Fat 36
% Daily Value *
Saturated fat 1g5%
Trans fat 1g
Polyunsaturated fat 1g
Monounsaturated fat 1g
Vitamin A 75IE2%
vitamin C 2mg2%
* The daily percentage values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Keywords: Chicken Meal Prep, shredded chicken
Would you like to save this recipe?
Register for this site
You will receive an email with a link to set your password.