Updated Sep 06, 2021 | 18:00 IS
There are some foods that, despite fortification with fat reducing properties, rarely find a place in weight loss diet plans. At National Nutrition Week, we compiled a list of 5 such foods.
Mushrooms are a popular meat substitute and the best thing about this food is that it is high in fiber and protein Image credit: Pexels
- Apples are a rich source of fiber that will keep your digestive health in check
- According to a 2014 study, capsaicin, a compound found in chili peppers, has been linked to weight loss
- If consumed in excess, almonds can lead to weight gain
New Delhi: When it comes to weight loss, millennials turn to exercise routines, diet fashions, low-fat foods, and sugar-free drinks. While it is widely believed that weight loss requires cutting off carbohydrates, fats, and sugars, nutritionists acknowledge that moderation and portion control are great ways to keep everything safe. However, there are some foods that, despite fortification with fat reducing properties, rarely find a place in weight loss diet plans.
At National Nutrition Week, we compiled a list of the 5 most underrated foods that are great for weight loss.
- Apples: An apple a day not only keeps the doctor away – this fruit could also help overcome an unhealthy body mass index (BMI). This low-calorie fruit is a rich source of fiber that will keep your digestive health in check, keep you full for a long time, and prevent hunger pangs, thereby reducing excess caloric intake throughout the day.
- Chili peppers: According to a 2014 study, capsaicin, a compound found in chili peppers, has been linked to weight loss. This compound, when taken with every meal, induces a feeling of satiety and prevents you from consuming high calorie snacks that could lead to weight gain. They are also known to improve metabolism, which eventually helps to speed up the weight loss process.
- Oatmeal: Keeping your bowl of oatmeal sugar free will turn it into a complete healthy meal that is great for your weight loss goals. With some milk and fresh fruit, it becomes a powerhouse of nutrients that satiate hunger, and the carbohydrates in oatmeal release energy at a slow pace that prevents fats from being stored and burned during workouts.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms are a popular meat substitute, and the best part about this food is that it is high in fiber and protein – nutrients that play an essential role in promoting satiety and weight loss. Mushrooms are also rich in antioxidants and reduce the risk of inflammation and thus prevent chronic diseases such as diabetes or heart disease.
- Almonds: Many may feel that almonds are high in fat and may not be the perfect fit for those looking to lose weight. However, as it turns out, almonds are a great source of healthy fats that are good for heart health, joint lubrication, and even weight loss. However, one needs to be careful about the amount of almonds they consume, as this nut, if consumed in excess, can also lead to weight gain. Therefore, only a handful is recommended as a snack for weight watchers.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in this article are for general information only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or nutritionist before starting any fitness program or changing your diet.
Get the latest health news, healthy eating, weight loss, yoga and fitness tips, and other updates on Times Now